I completely understand the enthusiasm for sweet and salty. I honestly think this marriage of flavors is one of the greatest invention ever made.
Salted Caramel Almond Tarts
Yield: 2 dozen
Prep time: 40 minutes (includes resting)
Cook time: 25 minutes
For the pastry crust:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
For the filling:
1 large egg
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt (I used Maldon)
1/2 cup almonds, chopped
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the softened butter and neufchatel cheese until fully combined. Stir in the flour until a dough forms. Wrap the dough securely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and melted butter until combined. Stir in the chopped almonds and sea salt.
3. Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
4. Form the chilled dough into 1 inch balls. Place one ball in each cup of a mini muffin pan. Use your fingers or a tart tamper to press out into a tart shell.
5. Fill each shell with a teaspoon of filling. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
6. Let the tarts cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack to continue cooling, or enjoy warm.
- For the unused dough, mold it into a disc. Wrap with plastic wrap then with foil. Place in a freezer storage bag. Leftover dough can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Pastry Crust Recipe adapted from AllRecipes