As much as I can, I try to prepare meals that are new and entertaining. But I gotta admit, there are times those creative juices steer clear of me and I’m completely spaced out! Fast food isn’t really an option because, for those who know me well, I’m super frugal! Don’t get me wrong, I looooove pizza and crispy fries, but sodium-packed meals aren’t really my thing.
So, I go through my [mental] list of go-to quick-dinner-fix and one of them is a stir fry. In 20 minutes, dinner is served and my problem is solved!
Fake-Out Take-Out Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
Yield: 2 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
2 teaspoons sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound lean sirloin, thinly sliced*
2 tablespoons no-msg oyster sauce
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 1/2 cups broccoli florets, steamed*
1. Heat a sauté pan or wok over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot (but not smoking), add the garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the beef and stir-fry for 2 minutes until seared on all sides and cooked through. Remove the beef from the pan with a slotted spoon and transfer it onto a plate.
2. Dissolve the oyster sauce and cornstarch in the chicken broth then add to the same pan. Simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the reserved beef and broccoli florets. Stir to evenly coat the beef and broccoli.
4. Serve immediately with steamed white rice.
- It’s easier to slice the beef in thin strips when partially frozen.
- I used my microwave’s steam setting to cook the broccoli florets.
Recipe by JG