WARNING: What you’re about to eat are dangerous. Very dangerous!
Butterbeer Doughnut Holes
Yield: 2 dozen
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Grease a mini muffin pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a medium bowl, beat together 2 tablespoon butter, applesauce, and sugars until smooth. Add the egg, beat until combined.
3. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
4. Stir in the flour alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the flour.
5. Spoon a tablespoon of batter into greased muffin cups. Bake for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. Let the doughnut holes cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
7. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Brush the tops of the warm doughnut holes with melted butter, then roll each into cinnamon sugar.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour