Can you imagine yourself eating an antioxidant cookie?
Green Tea Almond Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen
Prep time: 60 minutes (includes resting)
Cook time: 15 minutes
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
6 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons almond meal
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons matcha (green tea powder)
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 360ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat baking mat.
2. In a bowl, sift the dry ingredients together: flour, almond meal, salt, and matcha. Set aside.
3. In a separate large bowl, cream together the butter and confectioners’ sugar with a spatula. Add the egg yolk. Mix until combined.
4. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until a dough forms. Do not overmix.
5. Roll it into a 1-inch square log. Wrap in plastic wrap then freeze for 40 minutes to firm up.
6. In a shallow dish, sprinkle the sugar. Unwrap the cookie log, then roll into the sugar to coat all sides, pressing a bit firmly to make the sugar crystals stick onto the dough.
7. Using a sharp knife, cut the log into 1-cm (2/5-inch) slices and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
8. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cookies just begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes in the baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack to continue cooling.
Recipe adapted from Chocolate and Zuccini