I’m incorporating more fruits in my daily diet. After all, “an apple a day, keeps the doctor away.” 😉
Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
Yield: 5-6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
For the cake:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup apples, peeled, cored and chopped
For the crumb topping:
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
dash of ground nutmeg
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 1 3/4-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. In a bowl, sift the dry ingredients together: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Add the egg, beating well.
4. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with the greek yogurt and vanilla. Fold in the apples. Pour into the prepared baking dish, spreading out to the edges.
5. Prepare the crumb topping by combining all ingredients in a bowl. Use a fork to cut the butter evenly into the dry ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over the cake.
6. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the topping is golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack, or enjoy warm.
Recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse