I find it ridiculous that a serving of noodle goodness can be so evil [to my thighs!!!]. With the help of the right ingredient substitutions, I can still make my fave restaurant dish in the comfort of my own kitchen. A healthier version without any flavors sacrificed. Total win-win!
Copycat: Pasta Da Vinci
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 pound dried penne noodles
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 pound shitake mushrooms, sliced
3 garlic cloves, grated
1 cup red madeira wine
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1 cup half and half
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
salt & pepper, to taste
1. Cook penne according to package directions.
2. Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat, then add the onions. Sprinkle a pinch of salt to sweat them out and cook until caramelized.
3. Add the chicken. Sauté until no longer pink and cooked through. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook until the mushrooms are tender, then transfer onto a plate and set aside.
4. In the same pan, add the wine, scraping to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer until reduced in half.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low, then add the greek yogurt and half and half. Stir constantly until the greek yogurt melts. Swirl in the butter. Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
6. Add the reserved chicken mixture and stir.
7. Once the noodles are al dente, drain, then toss with the sauce.
Recipe adapted from Big Oven