Summer may have been officially over yesterday, but definitely not the season for pies. Not to me, at least.
Peach Mango Pie
Yield: 1 7-inch pie
Prep time: 40 minutes (includes resting)
Cook time: 30 minutes
For the pastry crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup cold plain greek yogurt
For the filling:
1 1/2 cups mangoes, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups peaches, peeled and diced
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons chai spice, recipe follows
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1.Whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
2. Add the cubed butter to the bowl and use your fingers to work the butter into the flour until the mixture is the consistency of wet sand.
3. Stir in the greek yogurt, and then turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface.
4. Knead the dough a few times until it comes together, adding more flour, 1 teaspoon at a time, if the dough is too sticky to handle. Roll the dough into an 6×8-inch rectangle and dust both sides with flour before folding it into thirds as if you were folding a letter.
5. Rotate the dough 90º and roll it out again into an 6×8-inch rectangle. Fold the dough again into thirds then wrap it securely in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
7. In a bowl, combine all the filling ingredients together. Set aside.
8. Unfold dough onto a well-floured surface, rolling it out to two 7-inch diameters. Gently lift up one crust and place in ungreased 7-inch glass pie plate. Press firmly against side and bottom.
9. Spoon the filling into the crust-lined pie plate. Top with second crust. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the fruits are tender and the crust is golden brown.
10. Cool on cooling rack, or enjoy warm.
Pastry Crust Recipe adapted from Just A Taste