Orange is not exactly my favorite color, but I’m always excited when autumn comes because it only means one thing…pumpkin time! Yeah!
Yield: 8 bars
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
For the bars:
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the icing:
2 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 1 3/4-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. In a bowl, stir the dry ingredients together: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, applesauce, and pumpkin puree until light and fluffy.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth.
5. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely, then cut into bars.
6. Combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat using an electric mixer until smooth. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen