I say, the way to a cook’s heart is through kitchen tools and gadgets! When my parents bought me a Vitamix machine, I went gaga. Literally and figuratively speaking. I felt like I became my own pro in the kitchen.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 27 minutes
3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half
1 1/2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
2. In a baking sheet, toss the diced squash and melted butter together. Season generously with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
3. Into the Vitamix container, place the chicken broth, half and half, roasted squash, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and nutmeg. Season with more salt and pepper, according to taste. Secure the lid and select Variable 1.
4. Turn the machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then switch to High.
5. Blend for 7 minutes, or until heavy steam escapes from vented lid.
- If the soup is too thick, thin it out with additional 1/2 cup chicken broth.
Recipe by JG