My curiosity was piqued when I first heard about these. I started researching what they were and I came to conclude that they’re just like cupcake sandwiches!
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
For the cookies:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp red food coloring
For the filling:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened softened butter
4 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened
4 ounces jar marshmallow creme
1. 1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat baking mat.
2. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high for 30 seconds. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in food coloring.
3. Spoon batter in 2-inch diameter rounds, about 1/2-inch high on prepared baking sheets, allowing 1 inch between each round.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, or until tops are set. Let the cookies cool completely in the baking sheet on a cooling rack.
5. While the cookies are cooling, prepare the filling. Beat the butter and cream cheese in a bowl until smooth, then fold in the marshmallow creme.
6. Dollop the filling on the flat sides of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens