Who doesn’t love mac and cheese? One that is extremely cheesy? This, to me, is the epitome of a true comfort food.
Three-Cheese Baked Mac with Crisped Proscuitto
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
2 ounces prosciutto
1 pound dried macaroni noodles
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 cup half and half
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound white cheddar, shredded
4 ounces romano, shredded
4 ounces asiago, shredded
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Arrange the prosciutto slices on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool before crumbling and set aside.
3. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
4. In a large saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter, then sprinkle flour over. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat, whisking until a roux or paste forms.
5. Add milk and whisk vigorously until the roux is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook the sauce until thick and bubbly.
6. Add the half and half, all shredded cheeses, salt, and pepper. Cook until cheeses are fully melted, stirring occasionally.
7. In a separate pan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and then mix in the breadcrumbs until the butter is thoroughly absorbed. Set aside.
8. Once the noodles are al dente, drain, then toss with the cheese sauce.
9. Lower the oven temperature to 325ºF.
10. Place the macaroni mixture in a 13×9 baking dish (or individual ramekins) and top with breadcrumb mixture.
11. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Garnish with crisped prosciutto.
Recipe adapted from Chow