The house smells (and feels) very warm…very cozy…very festive. Thanks to the aroma of that rich and spicy pumpkin-flavored custard.
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 40 minutes (includes resting)
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs plus 1 yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch of ground cloves
5 cups stale bread, cubed (1-inch)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
2. Whisk together cream, pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, yolk, salt, and spices in a bowl.
3. Toss bread cubes with butter in another bowl, then add the pumpkin mixture and toss to coat.
4. Transfer to an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish. Let the bread soak for at least 30 minutes.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the entire bread pudding has puffed.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious