“When you’re feeling blue, all I have to do…is take a look at you.”
When a wintry mix suddenly fills your day with gloom, think of these words: Brown butter crust. Sweet and super tangy lemon filling.
Trust me, “it’s gonna be a bright…bright…sunshine-y day!”
Yield: 12 bars
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
For the crust:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
2 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon lemon extract
pinch of salt
confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass bowl and chill in the freezer until solid, about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. Whisk together flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Dice solidified brown butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. Add dough to prepared baking dish; use a piece of parchment to press dough into an even layer. Bake for 23 minutes, until crust is lightly golden.
5. While the crust bakes, prepare the filling. Lightly whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, flour, lemon extract, and salt until smooth.
6. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and slowly pour filling over hot crust; return dish to oven and bake until filling is firm, about 22 minutes. Cool completely in dish on wire rack, then cover and place in the refrigerator until chilled.
7. Carefully lift parchment to remove bars from dish and place on a cutting board; cut into squares using a sharp knife and dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
Recipe adapted from Tutti Dolci