I always jump for joy when a snack I like has a baked version. It’s like twice the yum, half the guilt. Yeah!
Yield: 2 1/2 dozen
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, salt, and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
3. Remove from heat then add the flour. Stir with a spoon to combine. Mixture will thicken and start to resemble the texture of mashed potatoes.
4. Beat the dough on low speed with a hand mixer, adding one egg at a time, mixing well before each addition. Add the vanilla.
5. Spoon the dough into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 6-inch rows of the dough, with at least 1 inch apart.
6. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Put the cinnamon sugar in a shallow dish.
8. Spray churros lightly with cooking spray. Roll each churro in the cinnamon sugar. Serve with warm dark chocolate maple syrup (recipe here).
Recipe adapted from The Baker Chick