My goal is to turn every rainbow color into cookies. Why? Because the kid in me says they sure are fun to eat. I’ve started with yellow. I know. I know. I’m not following the ROYGBIV pattern, but that’s ok. There aren’t any rules for baking colorful cookies anyway.
Red Velvet Crinkles
Yield: 2 dozen
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 box Signature Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Combine confectioners’ sugar and cornstarch in a shallow dish. Mix with a fork to blend.
3. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, cooled butter, egg, and lemon zest. Mix until smooth.
4. Form the dough into 1-inch balls then roll in the sugar mixture. Place the sugar-covered balls on the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until edges are set and cookies begin to crack.
6. Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack to continue cooling, or enjoy warm.
Recipe adapted from Duncan Hines