I know I’m Asian, but I suddenly became addicted to the aroma of Chinese 5-spice blend. It gives me a certain kind of high. (And no, not the bad kind of high! Haha) The pungent mix elevates the chicken to a smoky lovely, lovely character.
Chicken and Green Beans Stir Fry
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 pound chicken tenderloins, cubed into 1-inch chunks
3 tablespoons light soy sauce, divided
3/4 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice blend
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 pound green beans, stem ends trimmed, cut into 3-inch lengths
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, lightly toasted
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup bean sprouts
1. In a bowl, combine the chicken, 4 1/2 teaspoons of the soy sauce, and spice blend. Toss to coat and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a large wok or sauté pan over hight heat. Add the chicken, stirring constantly. Cook until brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add the beans and stir-fry until wrinkled, stirring, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 seconds.
4. Add the hoisin, remaining soy sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, and bean sprouts. Stir to coat, and cook for 1 minute.
5. Remove from the heat and serve immediately, over steamed white rice.
Recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse