I am not being biased here, but mangoes from the Philippines are the sweetest mangoes on the planet. They’re just the best, really. And to put them on a cake?! Luscious.
Mango Cream Cake
Yield: 6-inch multi-layer cake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons mango nectar
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup mango chunks, pureed
2 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the frosting:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon mango nectar
1/2 cup mango chunks, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line two 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper and grease with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift the dry ingredients together: flour, salt, baking powder, and 1/4 cup of sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the applesauce and mango nectar.
3. Using a hand mixer with the beater attachment, beat the mixture at medium-low speed for 3 minutes. Add the egg yolks one at a time, blending well after each addition, until thoroughly mixed. Stir in the mango puree and set aside.
4. In a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high speed until frothy. Gradually add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until stiff and glossy.
5. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold 1/4 of the beaten egg whites into the batter, until lightly blended. Gently fold about 1 cup of batter into beaten egg white mixture. Repeat until all the batter has been blended into egg white mixture.
6. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans. Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes then turn them out of their tins.
8. While the cakes cool, prepare the frosting. In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
9. In another bowl, combine butter and confectioners’ sugar. Add the mango nectar and whisk until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream.
10. To assemble the cake, spread 1 of the cakes with some of the frosting to cover. Stack the other cake, pressing gently. Frost the top and sides of the cake and garnish with mango chunks.
Recipe by JG