Add some crunchy pizzazz to your favorite banana loaf recipe. It will make the foodie in you very happy.
Banana Loaf Crunch
Yield: 1 9×5-inch loaf
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
For the loaf:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the crunch topping:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Combine the dry ingredients together: flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, melted butter, and buttermilk. Whisk until combined. Stir in the vanilla extract. Set aside.
4. Make the crunch topping: combine all ingredients except butter in a small bowl. Add the butter and rub it in until fully incorporated. Set aside.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture. Stir just until no visible flour streaks remain.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Tap the pan on the counter to bring all air bubbles to the surface. Sprinkle the crunch topping evenly on top.
7. Bake for 55 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the loaf cool completely in the pan.
Recipe by JG