One day, I went gaga and bought 10lbs worth of pineapples. They were on sale for 99cents a piece. Truth is, I really wanted to practice my “how-to-peel-a-pineapple” skills.
Once I got done slicing and dicing, I had tons of pineapple chunks. And when I say “tons” I mean “TONS!!” I kept them in containers and stacked them neatly in the fridge. Until I saw some leftover jasmine rice and… “Ooooh…lightbulb moment!”
Chorizo Pineapple Fried Rice
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon milk
5 ounces Chorizo de Bilbao, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup mini pineapple chunks
1/2 cup frozen peas
3 cups leftover cooked rice
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
salt & pepper, to taste
1. Melt the butter in a skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. In a bowl, whisk the eggs and milk until combined. Season with salt and pepper. When the butter bubbles, pour the eggs straight into the middle of the pan. As soon as no more liquidous egg is running around the pan, transfer the scramble to a plate and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add the chorizo. Cook, stirring, for about a minute. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper. Sauté until translucent, about two minutes.
3. Add the pineapple and frozen peas. Stir-fry for a minute.
4. Add the rice and reserved scrambled eggs, tossing to mix well until heated through and combined.
5. Turn off heat and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Recipe by JG