I have a confession…I never liked pumpkins while growing up. I know, I know. What was I thinking, right?
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
4 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whip the neufchatel cheese and 1/4 cup sugar until smooth and creamy. Pop in the fridge and cool while you prep the muffins.
3. In a large bowl, combine the the remaining sugar, applesauce, pumpkin purée, and eggs together until fully incorporated. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
4. Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into the bottom of each muffin. Tap the pan gently on the counter to spread the batter evenly across the bottom of each muffin tin.
5. Spoon a tablespoon of cream cheese mixture atop the pumpkin batter, then evenly distribute the remainder of the batter over the top of the cream cheese.
6. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Two Tarts