The hubs and I are trying to incorporate more and more veggies to our daily diet. We’ve made a resolve to eat smartly from now on.
Grilled Veggies Taco Bowl
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
1 1/2 cups leftover cooked rice
1 lime, zested and juiced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 large zucchini, cut into slices lengthwise
1 large yellow squash, cut into slices lengthwise
1 ear corn, leaves and silk removed
salt & pepper, to taste
1 large onion, diced
3 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinse and drained
1 large haas avocado, diced
6 soft whole wheat tortillas
nonstick cooking spray
1. 1. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the rice and stir-fry for a minute. Stir in the lime zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Brush zucchini and yellow squash slices, along with the ear of corn, with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Grill them on a grill pan, a charcoal grill, or sauté them in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, turning them halfway through. Remove when the veggies have great color on the outside. Set aside to cool, then dice them.
3. Preheat the oven to 370ºF. Coat the wheat tortillas evenly with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Nestle the tortillas in the spaces between the cups of an inverted muffin pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
5. To assemble taco bowls, spoon on rice, then beans, then grilled veggies. Top with onions, tomatoes, and avocado.
Recipe by JG