I have a certain kind of fondness for fortune cookies. One time I bought an entire box (about 350 cookies, give or take). There are several ideas I can partner them with (mostly on ice cream), but never have I imagined to use them as a crust for chicken. It was surprisingly good.
Fortune Cookie Chicken Crisps
Yield: 2 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
4 chicken tenderloins, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning, recipe follows
1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
10 fortune cookies, crushed
For the creole seasoning
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil then top with a wire cooling rack. Spray the rack lightly with nonstick spray; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for creole seasoning.
3. In a shallow dish, combine flour and creole seasoning.
4. Dredge a flattened chicken with the flour mixture. Dip in the egg/milk mixture, then coat with fortune cookie crumbs. Shake gently to remove excess. Repeat the same process for remaining chicken.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, or chicken is cooked through.
6. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Creole Seasoning Recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse