I’m not really a meat person, but the hubs is. I’ve been encouraging him to stay away from it for health reasons, but I guess an occasional whim is acceptable.
Faux Philly Cheesesteaks
Yield: 2 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut lengthwise into quarters
1 loaf french bread, cut into 2 rolls
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces roast beef, deli-style
4 slices swiss cheese
1 cup warm beef stock, optional
1. Heat a grill pan on medium. Brush the bell pepper with olive oil. Place peppers, skin side down, on hot grill. Cover and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with silpat baking mat or parchment paper; set aside.
3. When the peppers are cooked, let them cool for a few minutes, then slice into thick strips.
4. Split each roll lengthwise and brush with butter. Take one roll, top with 2 ounces of deli meat, some peppers, then 2 slices of cheese. Repeat for remaining roll.
5. Bake for 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
6. Serve with warm beef stock for dipping.
Recipe by JG