No, you’re not getting fooled. This is the real deal!
Crumb Top Coffeecake Muffins
Yield: about a dozen
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
For the topping:
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon unsweetened dark cocoa powder
3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
For the cake:
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a muffin top pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the greek yogurt, egg, and vanilla. Whisk until combined and set aside.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and cocoa and pulse 6 times. Pour the mixture into a small bowl and set aside.
4. In the food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and salt with 5 pulses, then distribute the butter pieces evenly over the top. Pulse 8 or 9 times, until the butter is smaller than pea size. Remove 1/4 cup of the flour mixture and stir it into the brown sugar mixture with a fork; set aside.
5. Add the baking powder and soda to the flour mixture in the food processor and pulse again 4 times to combine. Pour the greek yogurt mixture over the flour mixture and pulse 5 times, until the mixture just comes together. Measure out 1/3 cup of the crumb topping and sprinkle it evenly over the batter in the food processor. With a rubber spatula, stir the topping into the batter with three or four stirs, just until it is swirled through the batter.
6. Place 2 tablespoons of batter in each muffin cup. Evenly sprinkle 2 teaspoons of topping over each muffin, gently pressing it into the batter. If using, sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of mini chocolate chips on each muffin.
7. Bake for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Leave the muffins in the pan for 2 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Bakingdom