This is my take on the classic noodle casserole. It’s easy to prepare, too.
Skillet Chicken Noodle Casserole
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
16 ounces dried ziti pasta
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, diced
1 pound ground chicken
8 ounces asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup half and half
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions, but a little shy of al dente.
2. Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a large skillet or sauté pan. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and cook until transluscent. Add the ground chicken, season with salt and pepper. Cook until crumbled and no longer pink.
3. Reduce the heat to low. Add the asparagus and cook for a minute. Stir in the milk, half and half, and chese.
4. In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, panko breadcrumbs, and parsley flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce to coat.
6. Sprinkle the seasoned breadcrumbs on the pasta and serve immediately.
Recipe by JG