Yes, you can have your cake and eat it, too. Take this one, for example.
No-Bake Ube Coconut Cheesecake
Yield: 2 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
1 large egg
1/2 cup half and half or milk
3 tablespoons ube jam
1 teaspoon ube extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened
3 tablespoons coco jam
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
Toasted coconut milk crumbs (latik), for garnish
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, half and half, and ube jam together until smooth. Stir in the ube extract.
2. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir until combined.
3. Grease two microwave-safe coffee mugs with nonstick spray.
4. Divide the batter equally among the two mugs.
5. Put one mug in the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute. If the cake batter is still gooey, microwave on high for up to an additional 30 seconds. Repeat the same process for the remaining mug. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes.
6. While the cakes cool, make the filling. In a bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, coco jam, and confectioners’ sugar. Mix until smooth.
7. To assemble, take one cooled cake and slice into 3 discs. Using an 8-ounce glass jar, place one cake disc into the bottom. Spoon two tablespoons of cream cheese mixture on the cake layer. Tap the jar gently on the countertop to even out the filling. Repeat the layering process until you reach the top of the jar. Dollop with a tablespoon of filling and garnish with toasted coconut milk crumbs. Repeat the same process for the other mug cake.
- Cooking time varies. You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on your microwave’s settings.
- You may need to trim the sides of the cake disc to fit the glass jar.
- If you don’t have latik, crumble the cake trimmings and use them for garnish.
Recipe by JG