My husband happens to love Chicken Cordon Bleu. In fact, he was the one who introduced me to it. He was beyond thrilled when I made it into a casserole.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
1/2 pound cooked chicken breast, shredded
3 ounces deli-style honey ham, roughly chopped
6 slices baby swiss cheese
For the sauce:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup half and half
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
pinch white pepper
For the topping:
2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 1 3/4-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Spread the shredded chicken on the bottom of the baking dish. Scatter the chopped ham over the chicken. Lay the swiss cheese on top of the ham. Set aside.
3. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour over and cook 2 to 3 minutes, whisking until a roux forms.
4. While stirring briskly, slowly pour in milk then half and half. Stir constantly until the roux is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook the sauce until thick and bubbly.
5. Stir in the lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, smoked paprika and white pepper. Bring sauce to a gentle boil then turn off heat.
6. Pour sauce evenly over the casserole and around the edges of the pan.
7. Make the topping by melting the butter in a medium bowl in the microwave. Stir in the breadcrumbs, salt, and dried parsley. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
8. Bake for 40 minutes until hot and bubbly and the topping is golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from That’s Some Good Cookin’
By the way, I’m currently hosting a giveaway on my Instagram. Head over to see the goodies!