As it turns out, avocados are not just for making guacamole. Some may find it really odd pairing them with pasta, but I happen to like the flavor profile. It’s creamy and super yummy!
Pesto Avocado Mac and Cheese
Yield: 2 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 7 minutes
1/2 pound dried macaroni noodles
2 Haas avocados, peeled and pitted
2 tablespoons store-bought pesto
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. In a food processor, combine the avocados, pesto, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and zest. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, then sprinkle flour over. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, whisking until a roux or paste forms.
4. Add milk and whisk vigorously until the roux is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook the sauce until thick and bubbly. Add the white cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
5. Once the noodles are al dente, drain, then toss with the cheese sauce. Pour a cup, or more if desired, of the avocado sauce* and stir until the pasta is well coated.
6. Garnish with avocado chunks or diced tomatoes, if desired.
- You may wish to use up all the avocado sauce or store the leftover in an airtight container for later use.
Recipe by JG