I guess it’s safe to call this one a winning recipe when I got a two thumbs up sign from my in-house food critic.
Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Tarts
Yield: 1 dozen
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced into half moons
salt & pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
12 slices wheat bread
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for a minute. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low then stir in the sugar. Cook until the onion caramelizes, about 15 minutes.
2. Add one tablespoon of butter. Once it melts, add the mushrooms and thyme. Fry gently until the mushrooms are soft and have released their moisture. Stir in the chopped parsley and lemon juice then remove from heat to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Melt the remaining two tablespoons butter and use it to grease a 12-cup muffin pan. Set aside.
4. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out a circle from each bread slice.
5. Press a bread circle gently into each muffin cup. Spoon a tablespoon of mushroom filling then top with grated gruyere.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
7. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Selma’s Table