Instead of using bamboo skewers, I wanted to try out something different. Just because I was curious. As it turns out, there was a subtle hint of sweetness added on to the flavor of the lamb.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 10 hours (includes resting)
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 pound ground lamb
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 large egg
8 pineapple skewers*
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients together, except the skewers. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil. Insert a cooling rack that fits inside the baking sheet. Set aside.
3. Divide the lamb mixture into 8 balls. Form each ball around the tip of the skewer, flattening into a 3-inch oval. Repeat with the remaining skewers.
4. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the lamb has cooked to your desired degree of doneness. Serve with store-bought or homemade tzatziki sauce.
- I used the pineapple core and cut them lengthwise.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes