I have given up doughnuts a long time ago (the fried ones, I mean). Thanks to the wonderful world of baking, the birth of healthy doughnuts came to existence. I can eat as many as I want…guilt-free!
Baked Banana Chocolate Chip Doughnuts
Yield: half dozen
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 medium ripe banana, mashed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
For the topping:
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Grease a doughnut pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the mashed banana, sugar, and greek yogurt. Using a hand mixer with the beater attachment, beat the mixture at medium-low speed until combined.
3. Add the melted butter, egg, and vanilla extract and mix.
4. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the batter and mix just until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Transfer the batter to a piping bag. Pipe batter 3/4 full into each doughnut mold.
6. For the topping, combine the ground cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of each doughnut batter.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, or a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the pan and allow to cool before eating.
Recipe adapted from Janie’s Kitchen